Mt Rushmore in South Dakota Aerial View

Originally known to the Lakota Sioux as Six Grandfathers, the mountain was renamed after Charles E. Rushmore, a prominent New York lawyer, during an expedition in 1885. At first, the project of carving Rushmore was undertaken to increase tourism in the Black Hills region of South Dakota. After long negotiations involving a Congressional delegation and President Calvin Coolidge, the project received Congressional approval. The carving started in 1927, and ended in 1941 with a few injuries but no deaths. – Wikipedia

Below is an overhead view of the national monument – Mt Rushmore

Mt Rushmore Aerial View

Be Sociable, Share!

Post a Response